contact me

Email me at debbie travelling AT gmail DOT com

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Speed Bump in the road!

Different kind of speed bump this time! On what is almost the last day of our construction project, I done wore out! A bout of bowel obstruction (an occasional occurence with my Crohn's Disease of 34 years), caused me to head to my favourite hospital.
 
 
If I have to get sick, this is where I want to be treated!
I had been feeling quite sick since Friday morning, and after my 24 hours of dealing with it myself, I called my amazing Gastroenterologist here in Merida, Dr. Maria Icaza, and described my symptoms.
She explained that she had just gotten home from a week away with her 16 year old daughter, (who won the state's short story writing contest and got flown for a week long all expenses paid trip with her Mom to further present her story).
I of course offered to wait and meet her on Monday, as this was Saturday, but she refused and said I should meet her at Emergency in 2 hours!

 
We arrived at Star Medica and Dr. Maria was there within a minute. While Vic filled out some paperwork, I was whisked into my own VERY clean, bright and pretty curtained area, and had i.v. installed, including anti-nauseant and pain killer within 5 minutes of arrival, and x-rays done and results within 15.
 
Dr. Maria saw me situated in my hospital room (I needed to be admitted for hydration and non oral medications in order to clear the obstruction). After 34 years of issues like this, I had never had such speedy intervention, and as a result things began to resolve themselves within an hour of my arriving at the hospital!
 
Our friends and neighbours Dennis and Sue dropped in to see me, hence the pictures.
Vic and I couldn't believe the hospital room!  Not only was it extremely clean and bright, it was as big as any hotel room, and even had it's own big screen tv,


The couch that Sue is sitting on here converted into a single bed, for which the staff brought Vic sheets and a towel for the night and next morning.

 
I had my very own, very spacious and extremely clean and bright bathroom

 
And a very comfortable hospital bed.
As a result I'm sure of the non-stressful, efficient, caring treatment I received, I was released later the next afternoon, and have recovered like never before!
Within 5 days of my hospital release, I did my first 2 km run (I was feeling that much better - I don't believe I've ever been able to run after a blockage for at least a month in the past!), and a week later (yesterday) did a 5km race, and then ran back to get Vic who walked in the local Turkey Trot!
What an amazing medical facility, and doctor!
And the total cost - which we will hopefully recover from our insurance company -
less than $1,000. Canadian!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment