contact me

Email me at debbie travelling AT gmail DOT com

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Sunday morning 10k race in Merida

So, early on Sunday, November 16th, Vic and I headed in to Merida for our first local race of the season.  It was just before 6 when we left Progreso for downtown Merida (about a 35 minute drive)
and the sun was well on it's way up, and the day was getting hot already!
 
 
Not that it had cooled down much that night as our recent nightly lows have been about 23 or 25 C.
 

 

 
 As Merida is a city of almost 1 million people, there are lots of runners, and this race was no exception.  Most races have a 1500 person capacity and usually fill up.  I think this one was the same.
 
Vic took part in the 5km walk (as his knee has kept him "out of the running" since June, and I (crazy woman) signed up for the 10k!
 
As such, Vic was able to get some wonderful pictures of the statues and decoration along the parade route.
 

 
These faces are a collection of art along the famous Paseo Montejo of Merida, and on Sunday mornings for everyone, one side of this major street of the city is closed off for several hours for people to be able to walk and ride bicycles down the streets without any traffic.



Below is the beautiful Banderas (flags) monument along the Paseo - truly a marvel

 
And here is the finish - Meta - which also means the goal!

 
There was also a wheelchair event

 
And I did finish, although I spent a good part of my run walking as I was way too hot, despite the 7am start! It was a really tough race for me on this particular morning, but I made it! :)


 
And I met our friend Carolina (also our dentist's receptionist) at the end for a quick visit!

 
And so begins the Sunday morning race calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment